Japan resolves the issue of Olympic fans

Organizers of the Tokyo Olympics announced on Monday that a maximum of 10,000 fans will be allowed in sports facilities, about a month before the start of the global event, adding that the competitions may be held behind closed doors in the event of an increase in the number of infections with the Corona virus. The decision ends months of speculation about whether athletes at Games postponed due to the pandemic will compete in front of fans or in empty facilities, after the ban on spectators from abroad last March. “In light of government restrictions related to public events, an audience of 50 percent of the facilities’ capacity will be permitted, with a maximum of 10,000 people in all facilities,” the organizers said in a statement. France quoted the statement that the decision on the number of fans who will be allowed to attend the Paralympic Games will be postponed until July 16, a week before the start of the Games. The officials left the door open to the possibility of holding competitions behind closed doors in the event of the exacerbation of the epidemiological situation. “If there is a drastic change in the number of infections, we may need to reconsider this issue and consider the option of no spectators in the facilities,” Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike said before announcing the decision. With the opening ceremony scheduled for July 23 approaching, leading medical experts, including government advisers, have previously asserted that holding the Games behind closed doors would be “ideal” from a health point of view.

Leave a Reply